Orcas Island Getaway FAQ
WHERE CAN WE FIND YOUR RESERVATION RATES AND AVAILABLE DATES?
- See our rates on the Reservation & Pricing Page where we offer Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall rates.
- Cleaning Fee: $110 per stay
- Taxes: 10.1% Sales and Lodging Tax on stays 29 days or less
- Long-Term rentals (30+ days) are not subject to the 10.1% Sales and Lodging Tax.
- Damage Protection: $59 (covers up to $1,000 in accidental damage).
- As an alternative damage option, guests can choose a $350 refundable damage deposit.
- Pet Fee: $25/night for the first dog, $15/night for an additional dog. Please read through our Pet Policy & Pricing for more details.
- Check-In: 4PM | Check-Out: 11AM
DO YOU OFFER DISCOUNTS ON MULTI-NIGHT STAYS?
Yes, we have discounts off the nightly rate starting at seven consecutive nights with discounts reflected in the weekly rates. Please contact us for details for our discounts offered for longer stays and availability.
Month-long rental are available October - April.
IS THERE A MINIMUM or MAXIMUM STAY LENGTH?
- We have a 2-night minimum stay at Orcas Island Getaway.
- We can accommodate up to 45 consecutive nights based on availability. Contact us for pricing.
DO YOU ACCEPT PETS?
- Orcas Island Getaway is a dog-friendly home. Please see our Pet Policy & Pricing for details for full details of our pet policy as we do have some requirements your dog must meet to be approved as a guest.
- Unfortunately, other pets, including cats, birds, snakes are not allowed.
WHAT ARE YOUR RENTAL TERMS?
- Full details about our Terms & Conditions of rental can be found here.
WHEN IS PAYMENT DUE FOR RESERVATIONS?
Full payments are due at the time of booking. Bookings are confirmed and marked on the calendar with acceptance of our Terms & Conditions and completed payment of reservation dates.
If you are making a reservation more than six months in advance, contact us for the opportunity to split payments for your reservation.
HOW DOES YOUR DAMAGE PROTECTION OR DAMAGE DEPOSIT WORK?
Damage Protection: $59 Damage Protection for accidental damages up to $1,000.
- Damage Protection does NOT cover excess trash, theft, intentional abuse or damages caused by pets.
- Damages above $1,000 are the responsibility of the guest.
Damage Deposit: Alternatively, guests may choose to pay a $350 fully refundable Damage Deposit at the time of booking. Housekeeping provides us an update as soon as they arrive and inspect the property. We issue the refund same day as departure, and it typically takes 3-5 business days for the funds to post back to your account.
HOW DO WE GET TO ORCAS ISLAND?
Most people travel to Orcas Island on the Washington State Ferry system, departing Anacortes, WA Ferry Terminal. It's about a 60 minute sailing from Anacortes to Orcas Island, with some of the most spectacular scenery in the country! As the saying goes "Half the fun is just getting here!"
There are also two airlines with regularly scheduled service to Orcas Island:
HOW DO WE GET INTO THE HOUSE WHEN WE ARRIVE?
- We utilize a state-of-the-art keyless entry system for our vacation rental. Each guest will have a unique code specific to their reservation, which automatically activates & deactivates at arrival and departure dates/times. No more hassling with trying to meet up to provide keys for access or scheduling a time to drop keys off.
Come and go as you please with the ease of mind and the convenience of keyless entry.
DO YOU HAVE A WELCOME BOOK AT THE PROPERTY?
- Yes, we have a Welcome Book in the home, and we also make it available online about a week ahead of your reservation so you can become familiar with the various amenities and local attractions before you arrive - leaving more time to enjoy your stay once you get here.
HOW DO WE LEARN ABOUT DIFFERENT AMENITIES YOU OFFER?
- Take a look at our Accommodations page that has a thorough description of the home and amenities offered.
- Some of the things our guests have commented on include:
- Hot Tub
- Fully Stocked Kitchen including Starbucks Espresso Machine
- Excellent Entertainment Center with Streaming Media and BOSE Stereo
- Bluetooth Speakers for use
- Relaxing outdoor spaces including the Fire Pit and back deck with string lighting and BBQ
- Quality & Comfortable Furnishings
- Here is a link to some of the User Guides
HOW UP-TO-DATE IS YOUR RESERVATION AVAILABILITY CALENDAR?
- The reservation calendar is updated as soon as we receive a confirmed booking. Reservations move to unavailable (booked) on the calendar upon receipt of:
- Completed Reservation Payments
- Completed Guest Registration and acceptance of our Terms & Conditions.
WILL WE BE WORKING DIRECTLY WITH THE OWNER OR A PROPERTY MANAGER?
You'll be working directly with the owners of Orcas Island Getaway... Hi, we're Todd & Lori.
- Some of the benefits of working directly with owners are that you'll have direct access to the ones that care the most about your stay.
- We also know the property and area very well, so we can give you 'insider details' to help make your trip memorable. We truly want to deliver an exceptional experience for you.
- Take a read through our reviews to see what you'll expect from working with us. Professional, friendly and prompt. That's our goal!
WHAT IF I NEED TO CANCEL AFTER BOOKING? WHAT'S YOUR CANCELLATION POLICY?
- In case you need to cancel your reservation, if you're doing so at least 60 days before your contracted arrival date, you'll receive 100% refund of your total reservation less a $50 booking fee.
Less than 60 days:
Reservations canceled within 60 days of reservation dates are not eligible for a refund for the nightly rates under any circumstance; however the Cleaning Fee and Damage Protection / Deposit will be returned to guests canceling within 60 days.
Are you familiar with Trip Insurance? Several businesses offer this protection at an affordable rate, and www.insuremytrip.com offers the chance to compare several companies at once. We have no affiliation or marketing relationship with any of these companies - we just think it's a great idea. If you're not purchasing insurance for your trip, then you're self-insuring your trip.
WHY 60 DAYS IN ADVANCE TO CANCEL? THAT SEEMS LIKE A LONG TIME.
Orcas Island Getaway is in a unique geographical area. Being that we are accessible by a ferry or small aircraft, it takes a bit more planning when arranging a trip to the San Juan Islands. As such, guests looking into reservations in our home tend to book much further in advance than locations that are more easily accessible. That means we are not likely to fill dates that canceled close to the reservation.
- For example: In 2015, we hosted nearly 70 different guest reservations. The average inquiry was 73 days in advance of their requested dates. Guests staying in the summer months of July and August averaged nearly 137 days in advance for their reservations, so nearly 4 months in advance on average.
- Our goal is to balance the needs of our guests while also taking into account the reality of not having the same opportunity to fill vacancies in short notice, which can prove detrimental to continuing to offer Orcas Island Getaway as a vacation rental to future guests.
- We encourage guests to purchase Trip Insurance to cover their investment should they not be able to make it or need to depart early due to untimely emergencies. Guests that do not secure insurance are self-insuring - which is their choice as well. In summary, Orcas Island Getaway does not refund reservations within 60 days or early departures.
IS ORCAS ISLAND GETAWAY LICENSED AND PERMITTED AS A VACATION RENTAL?
Yes, Orcas Island Getaway holds a Washington State Business License and a San Juan County Vacation Rental Permit and pays Lodging Tax.
Why is this important? (See this article "Crack down on illegal vacation rentals" in the Islands Sounder)
- Homes being offered as a vacation rental (also referred to as "short-term" or "transient" rentals) are considered commercial businesses.
- These businesses must be licensed, must carry commercial insurance (standard homeowners insurance does not cover vacation rental activity), and they must have the necessary permitting to operate as a vacation rental.
- Vacation Rentals must collect and remit sales and lodging taxes to the state/county for each guest as well.
- State and Local government agencies are taking a more aggressive stance towards properties that are not compliant. Guests booking at properties without the proper licenses and permits are putting themselves in a risky position if their property is issued a "cease operations" by the governing authorities.
Our Vacation Rental Permit Number is: PCUP00-14-0017 with San Juan County and our Washington State Business License is UBI# 602122287.
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I BE AWARE OF?
- Maximum Occupancy: We strongly recommend limiting the stay to 4 people based on the size of the home. We have accommodated up to 6 total, which is the max for our sized home based on San Juan County Code for vacation rentals. Children (no matter the age) are considered a person when it comes to the maximum occupancy.
- Check-in: 4:00 P.M.
- Checkout: 11:00 A.M.
- To prepare the property for the next guests, we are unable to accommodate early check-ins or late checkouts.
- Smoking & Pet Policy:
- We are strictly a Non-Smoking property
- Dogs are considered on a limited basis (please see our Pet Policy & Pricing for details, fees and inclusion to your rental agreement).
WHAT PAYMENT METHODS DO YOU ACCEPT?
We use an online payment processing that allows guests to complete payments securely online with major cards.
Hopefully, that covered just about everything. However, if you still have any questions, feel free to contact us or search our website using the search box above.
San Juan County Vacation Rental Permit # PCUP00-14-0017