UPDATE: Due to the overwhelming response for reservations on launch day, the WSF reservations have a new plan for releasing the summer sailing.
Summer Ferry Reservations to/from the San Juan Islands!
As you might have heard already, this year the Washington State Ferry system has started offering reservations for sailings to and from the San Juan Islands, making travel much more convenient - especially during the busy summer months.
Beginning tomorrow (April 14th) at 7AM, the first 30% allotment of space will become available to reserve for sailings from June 14th through September 19th.
Reservation space is released in 3 tiers:
San Juan Islands 30/30/30 tiered release of space occurs at 7AM 2 months prior to each season start date, then 2 weeks, and then 2 days prior to each sailing date. Reservations for the Summer 2015 sailing schedule will be available for the San Juan Islands beginning April 14, 2015 in the 1st tiered release.
Helpful Hints about ferry reservations in the San Juan Islands:
There’s no charge to reserve your sailing, but a credit/debit card number is required to hold your reservation (there is a no-show charge based on vehicle size)
- You are not pre-paying for your ticket when you make a reservation, you're simply securing a spot on your desired sailing.
- Your ferry ticket will still be purchased at the ferry terminal (Anacortes)
- Reservation holders have priority and limited spaces per sailing are available for drive up travelers. If you don’t have a reservation, at busy times you may wait multiple sailings for a space.
- Reservations are easily modified and/or cancelled up to the day before your travel reservation.
- Reservations are not available for inter-island sailings (i.e. from Orcas Island to Friday Harbor).
So now what?
If you are traveling to the San Juan Islands during the summer sailing schedule (June 14-September 19, 2015), we'd encourage you to make reservations well in advance. Visit the Washington State Ferry website by clicking here to make sure you're not spending all your vacation at the ferry terminal!
We hope you found this helpful and we look forward to having you stay at Orcas Island Getaway!
P.S. Like us on Facebook to stay up-to-date on the latest happenings!